Tracing Objective-C Methods
You can write very fast programs in Objective-C, but you can also write very slow ones. Performance isn’t a characteristic of a language but of a language implementation, and more importantly, of the programs written in that language. Performance optimization requires that you measure the time to perform a task, then try algorithm and coding changes to make the task faster.
The most important performance issue is the quality of the libraries used in developing applications. Good quality libraries reduce the performance impact. So to help you improve performance in your apps, we’ve updated the Splunk MINT SDK for iOS to provide an easy way to trace a method performance using MACROS.
To trace an Objective-C method, add the MINT_METHOD_TRACE_START …
Analyzing iOS data with Splunk Enterprise
This article describes in detail the steps to:
- configure the iOS library
- install Splunk Enterprise and Splunk app to receive data forwarded from iOS mobile devices
- basic Splunk searches
CONFIGURE THE iOS LIBRARY
- Download the logging library from http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/92296/mobile-analytics-with-splunk-storm-ios or https://github.com/nicholaskeytholeong/splunk-storm-mobile-analytics/blob/master/ios/splunkmobileanalytics.zip
- Unzip it and drag the splunkmobileanalytics folder into the project
- Select Relative to Project at Reference Type, then click Add.
- In the AppDelegate interface file (AppDelegate.h), import Splunk.h, like so:
- In the AppDelegate implementation file (AppDelegate.m), provide the SPLUNK_HOST_URL and TCP_PORT values in the message
- You are set! Splunk Enterprise is now integrated seamlessly into your iOS mobile app!
INSTALL SPLUNK ENTERPRISE AND SPLUNK APP
- Download the latest Splunk Enterprise from http://www.splunk.com/download
- Install Splunk Enterprise (in this
Mobile Analytics (iOS) with Splunk and Storm (Part 2)
In the previous article “Mobile Analytics (iOS) with Storm” , we discussed about sending stacktrace of uncaught exceptions from apps that run on iOS platform into Storm with the STORM REST API. We hope that the article covers the basic steps to help iOS app developers to jumpstart into realizing the potential of making use of Splunk and Storm to help the developers to develop better quality apps.
Great news … iOS developers are now able to send the above-mentioned stacktrace via TCP into both Splunk Enterprise and Storm; and it is very simple to configure this library into iOS app. The breakdown of the steps are as described below:
CREATE A STORM ACCOUNT
 Create a Splunk Storm …