Introducing Splunk Mobile App 2.0
What’s most exciting to me is that Splunk Mobile App now supports enterprise security requirements for single sign-on and Mobile Device Management compatibility. And with support for Splunk Enterprise search head clustering, Mobile App can now meet the needs of large-scale deployments.
Essentially, Mobile App has now moved from an early adopter curiosity to a fully-fledged enterprise app and bona fide interface to Splunk intelligence.
Popular Cisco Networks App Recognized with Splunk “Revolution Award”
The first inkling I had of the usefulness of the Cisco Networks App for Splunk Enterprise (formerly Cisco IOS) came from a Cisco field team who helped their customer get the app working and immediately identified multiple issues with flapping ports. In the months that followed I’ve had the pleasure of getting to know Datametrix senior consultant, Splunk app developer and general rock star Mikael Bjerkeland.
At .conf2014 Mikael was recognized with a much-deserved Splunk 2014 Revolution Award. ComputerWorld Norway profiled the award and the Cisco networking app in a fantastic article (“Norsk programvaresuksess”) that anyone using Splunk and Cisco networking gear should read.
For folks who don’t speak Norwegian, here’s a quick recap …
Several years …
Realtime alerts of mobile app crashlog
In the previous articles, we discussed about how to include the library to forward crashlog from iOS and Android mobile apps into Splunk Enterprise, install a Splunk app to aggregate the forwarded logs from mobile devices and then perform some simple analytics with the indexed data. If you have been following closely the write-ups and Splunk-ing the valuable data from iOS and Android mobile apps, you might be interested to know how to setup an alerting mechanism in the event of a crash.
We are going to discuss in particular how to configure realtime alerts via email with PDF attachment using Splunk Enterprise. It takes very little time …
Analyzing iOS data with Splunk Enterprise
This article describes in detail the steps to:
- configure the iOS library
- install Splunk Enterprise and Splunk app to receive data forwarded from iOS mobile devices
- basic Splunk searches
CONFIGURE THE iOS LIBRARY
- Download the logging library from http://splunk-base.splunk.com/apps/92296/mobile-analytics-with-splunk-storm-ios or https://github.com/nicholaskeytholeong/splunk-storm-mobile-analytics/blob/master/ios/splunkmobileanalytics.zip
- Unzip it and drag the splunkmobileanalytics folder into the project
- Select Relative to Project at Reference Type, then click Add.
- In the AppDelegate interface file (AppDelegate.h), import Splunk.h, like so:
- In the AppDelegate implementation file (AppDelegate.m), provide the SPLUNK_HOST_URL and TCP_PORT values in the message
- You are set! Splunk Enterprise is now integrated seamlessly into your iOS mobile app!
INSTALL SPLUNK ENTERPRISE AND SPLUNK APP
- Download the latest Splunk Enterprise from http://www.splunk.com/download
- Install Splunk Enterprise (in this
Mobile Analytics (iOS) with Splunk and Storm (Part 2)
In the previous article “Mobile Analytics (iOS) with Storm” , we discussed about sending stacktrace of uncaught exceptions from apps that run on iOS platform into Storm with the STORM REST API. We hope that the article covers the basic steps to help iOS app developers to jumpstart into realizing the potential of making use of Splunk and Storm to help the developers to develop better quality apps.
Great news … iOS developers are now able to send the above-mentioned stacktrace via TCP into both Splunk Enterprise and Storm; and it is very simple to configure this library into iOS app. The breakdown of the steps are as described below:
CREATE A STORM ACCOUNT
 Create a Splunk Storm …
Mobile Analytics (iOS) with Storm
As those who have been following articles about mobile analytics with Storm and Splunk already know, there’s been demand for an iOS library to help iOS app developers to debug their apps. I’m happy to announce that the iOS library is now available for use with Storm REST API input. The installation steps to use this libary are trivial